Guilty Pleasures's Reviews > Hearts of Darkness

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-carys
Read in August, 2012

Carys' review posted on Guilty Pleasures

Kayla has lost everything that she loves and Hart has nothing he cares about except for his freedom. These two have nothing in common but heartbreak and a mission to find the key. Can this good girl help the bad boy werewolf find the key and his heart before the world goes up in smoke.

Kayla is your typical good girl that is heartbroken over the loss of her sister. Her sister was everything she’s not. So now she has to channel some of what made her sister special to find the key in order to save Hart and the world. She stumbles through learning that the world isn’t so black and white and that the supernatural are very real and now she has a soul sucking dragon on her tail. Hart is a bad boy werewolf who was marked at birth to have moon madness. He is an outcast who is also a blood slave to the soul sucking dragon. Hart is doing anything in his power to gain his freedom but Kayla gets in the way, and Hart has to choose his freedom or once in lifetime kind of love.

This book does a good job of laying the groundwork for the rest of the series. I took it as an introduction to a lot of characters we will see in the future while giving us a couple to root for. I would have liked to see more of a romantic interaction between Kayla and Hart, but it was also important to future books that we get a better understanding of the world that this takes place in. I also liked how the author incorporated mythology so effortlessly. I can’t wait to see how the next installment unfolds.

3.5 Stars

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts of Darkness.