Leah's Reviews > Election!: A Kid's Guide to Picking Our President

Election! by Dan Gutman

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, american-history, history, for-review-netgalley, middle-grade, non-fiction
Read from August 07 to 14, 2012

With the upcoming election, I thought Election! would be a good book to check out. Even though it's a children's book, the facts and explanations were presented in a way that adults could enjoy it - and learn - as well. The writing never felt dumbed-down over over-simplified.

My major area of study was the Civil War and while I have a fairly decent grasp on other aspects of American history, politics is an area that has never really interested me. I love history and discovering what really goes into the way American government was formed (and continues to run) caught my eye.

The chapters in Election! are broken up into various aspects of the election process: choosing a candidate, voting, Election Day, etc. Instead of a constant narrative, the book is comprised of questions and answers and I really enjoyed the direct, no-fuss approach.

Because this is a book geared towards kids, some of the questions seem a little obvious and silly, but overall I thought this was a great book and I'll admit I definitely learned a thing or two (an 1882 election came down to ONE vote!). Whether a child is curious about how the presidency works or an adult is interested in brushing up on forgotten knowledge, Election! is a fun and informative book that can easily be read in a single setting.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Election!.