Lynda's Reviews > No Place Safe

No Place Safe by Kim Reid

Nov 29, 08

Recommended for: police officers, teachers, parents, anyone with a conscience.
Read in November, 2008, read count: once

I couldn't put Kim Reid's family memoir down until the last page. Her writing is so engaging and accessible, and the story is so compelling, it's the kind of book that will keep you up into the wee hours. It's a memoir, but it reads like the combination of a coming of age and a suspense novel. Truly a remarkable piece of work.

Though I lived in Washington, DC during the timeframe of the child murders in Atlanta, I remember the case. Kim and I were the same age. My dad kept track of the investigation and discussed details with me and my sisters as a cautionary tale, both of the suspect(s) who might be victimizing the children, and a society that would turn a blind eye for YEARS as twenty-six children are abducted, murdered, and dumped like so much garbage. The case resonated.

Kim brought it to a unique life on the page because of her perspective. The killings took place all around her neighborhood in southwest Atlanta, and her mother was an investigator out of the DA's office, assigned to the Missing and Murdered Children's Task Force.

I think this book should be required reading for law enforcement, parents, and anyone who thinks that one child's life is more valuable than another's, whether based on race, gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic level. This book deserves a wide audience. I hope you'll pick it up, and I hope you'll recommend it to others. You won't regret it, even if you've never heard of the case. One of my top five reads of 2008.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Place Safe.

11/25/2008 page 108