Shanna's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jul 22, 2013

bookshelves: best-covers, dystopian, first-in-a-series, favorites, ya, must-read
Read from August 07, 2012 to July 22, 2013 — I own a copy

This book defines what YA is meant to be. It was packed full of action from the very beginning, and I literally could not stop reading it. I finished this book in one day, and just was stunned at how amazingly well it was written and how in love with the characters I became. Everything about this book was perfection, and I believe it has ruined all other YA books for me. I have to say, this may just be the best YA book, and maybe the best book, I have ever read to date. I cannot wait to read the 2nd one.

I love that there are political undertones to this dystopian book as we follow Tris through her life in a world where factions rule. There are five different factions that seperate the people by what each faction believes to be the best quality in humanity, and the one that will keep war away. This world is still recovering from a war that got them to this point, and nobody is happy if you look under the surface.

At 16, memebers of each factoin choose what faction they want to be a part of. They can remain in their own faction, or choose another one. Faction switching is almost unheard of, so when it happens with most of the initiates, things get a little testy.

After choosing a faction, initiates must go through some very difficult tests to see if they really can stand up to the values of their faction. If not, they will be factionless, and that is something you never want to be a part of. Unfortunately, things may not be as easy as everybody thought, and that makes life far mor interesting for all iniiates.

All I can say is, read it! Read it! You won't regret any of it. The ending will shock you, and there are pleanty of twists and turns to try to follow along the way. One thing is for sure, you'll never see what's really going on until you're told, and for that I'm grateful. I hate figuring out the mystery early because it ruins the entire book after that.

My favorite thing of all was that Veronica Roth wasted no time grabbing the reader's attention, and she doesn't let go until the last page, and even then you're longing for more! It's very rare an auther can do that, especially for me. Just perfection! I also grately appreciated the lack of a love triangle (something so common in YA that it's almost sickening to read at times).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

08/07/2012 page 108