Melissa's Reviews > Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America

1922992
Aug 30, 2012

liked it
Read from August 07 to 30, 2012

This is a reporters collection of myths, folklore, and eye witness accounts of wolfmen or dogmen. It's not your typical hollywood or smexy shifter beast that we encounter in contemporary entertainment, but a collection of stories that have something simular with each other. It's this simular reporting that caught Godfrey's attention to write this book.

Now, before you scoff at the stories, the author does her homework. She does try to debunk when possible and she does not also come to a conclusion as to if the wolfmen are in fact real. It's just a presentation of stories and she allows you to come to your own conclusion. I find the fact that she took from so many sources and had certain aspects come up in a eerily consistant pattern interesting. She even looks into blatant hoaxes and how she identified several of this nature.

The most interesting part of this book for me was when she looked at the Native American mythology. Not just one aspect, but several. She didn't just get her information from unnamed sources, but actually talked to tribal leaders to get this information.

I don't know if I believe in the wolfman or dogman, but then while it remains unproven, it has not been disproved as well. All I know is that I personally do not have all the answers in the universe and while I remain skeptical, I also remain open to the possibility. What if there is more to the world than what we know? If nothing else, it is a fun curiosity.

I give this book 3 stars. I think I would have liked it better categorized within the chapters, but I did love the fact she did not lead you to a conclusion. I recommend it to anyone who loves eye witness accounts, folk lore and mythology concerning this paranormal phenomenon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Wolfmen.