Mark's Reviews > Guilty Wives

Guilty Wives by James Patterson

Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012, gifts, james-patterson
Read from August 07 to 15, 2012

The first half of this book was so surreal that it was bordering on the ridiculous. James Patterson seemed to spend each chapter trying to eclipse the implausable scenrios of the the previous. Don't get me wrong I like to get lost in a good book and suspend belief fora while. But the events that took place in the early chapters of this book were getting so unbeliavable that it was getting stupid.
For example (view spoiler)
But once all the silliness of setting up the story is out of the way this starts to become the usual intriguing and suspensful thriller that you'd expect from a James Patterson novel. You start to feel for the plight of the main character after her incaceration as she tries to determine the truth of what happened that night (something I was unable to feel as she went on her jaunts around Monte Carlo). Granted the book never quite manges to lose it's silliness (the former profession of one of the husbands alone is something I'd expect to read in a teenage novel and not an adult thriller). But the treatment of the charcaters during their incaceration and the later plight of the main character as she endeavours to clear her name make for an interesting and enjoyable read.

As the latest James Patterson branded book (I say brand as there is no way that Patterson pens in the region of ten novels a year. I now see JP's books as a brand and not necesarilly written by him. It is usually only the Alex Cross and Maximum Ride series that don't carry a second authors name on the covers) this is far from the worse, there are some absolute stinkers out there with his name on. But by no means is it a masterpiece either. Once you get past the ridiculousness of this book you find that there's an intresting and intriguing thriller hidden in there somewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Wives.