Carol's Reviews > Testimony

1620952
Nov 24, 08

bookshelves: contemporary
Read in November, 2008

I had trouble rating this book; it is definetly a page-turner, so why only two stars? I found the storyline riveting, but the writing style took me many pages to get used to - overly simplistic at times. I also felt that it had too many frivolous descriptions; I found myself skimming to find actions, feelings, and more dialogue. During the first half of the book, I was saying, "I do not like this book at all," but as I read further, I discovered the value of it as a lesson to be learned about how one poor decision can be tremendously devastating to so many lives, and what a snowballing effect each action and reaction has. Perhaps the reality of the choices (of both the adults and the teenagers) as a sign of the times was too depressing for me! As another reviewer mentioned, I agree that this could be a useful book for a high school class discussion, but some teachers may have trouble getting through the first few pages in a classroom setting. I am usually a Shreve fan, but this one gets a three for plot; a one for style; hence, an average of two.
43 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Testimony.

message 1: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Farwell Wow! Great annotation, Carol. Your description and opinions of the book are really excellent. I had this book on my list, but think I will take it off. Shreve has never been one of my favorites, and you didn't make me think otherwise. Thanks for the informative write-up.
Carm

message 2: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam I agree totally with Carol's comments- it was a page turner but I can't give it more than 2 stars! I'm finding I gravitate to Anita Shreve but only really like her historical fiction such as Weight of Water and Fortune's Rocks.

Gloria Bernal I do not agree with this post - it is unlike any of her others but I can't see how she can find fault with the writing. The story is sad, but such is life sometimes. Too bad Carm was swayed into not reading it by this review.

message 4: by Lyn (new) - rated it 1 star

Lyn Ford I agree with Carols review, I realise I am not a great fan of Anita Shreve, the only book I have really enjoyed of hers was The Pilots Wife
I only gave it a 1 star rating

Gloria Bernal Well I am anxious to read her newest Rescue: A Novel, see if it's any better than this last one was.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan I borrowed Testimony as an audio book from the library. Could not stand the simplistic vocabulary and all the talking that takes forever to say anything. Testimony is not a smart book.

Glenda Carrillo I totally agree with what you said. The book is good, but following it was sometimes hard.

Susie Yeah, I struggled with the style, too. But I guess I'm more generous than you! :)

Kathie Kelly I've never read Anita Shreve before but can hardly wait to read more by her after reading this book. I loved it! Loved the story line, the style of writing, the message, everything. Just goes to show how different we all are and isn't that good. After just having read a Belva Plain book (whom I also had not read before), this one should win a Pulitzer prize! Now there is a simplistic, pedantic writer!