Candace's Reviews > Keystone

Keystone by Misty Provencher

Aug 08, 12

Read from August 06 to 08, 2012

Misty Provencher has created a completely unique story in Cornerstone and Keystone. I have never read anything like it, and that's a major bonus for me. It's so hard to characterize a genre for the books. They aren't really paranormal, but there are paranormal-like elements (no vampires, zombies or ghosts...). They are an urban fantasy, but unlike anything you've ever read.

Misty is a master at creating characters. The dialogue and banter is so easy to hear. The characters all feel real. And there's a wide array of personalities and even though there are a lot of characters to keep straight I never felt overwhelmed or confused because everyone's distinct voices and personalities kept them all separate.

The romance is epically sweet. I don't want to spoil the first book for those who haven't read it, but the way that things play out in book one was kind of a slow burn. Now in book two we don't get anything too hot and heavy, but while things have changed between them, grown, it still is a sort of slow burn romance. I think that the author did a brilliant job in keeping us invested in these two without annoying us with a love triangle or anything like that.

I loved how this book played out. There was a good mix of emotion. Sadness at first, but never real devastation because of the way it's done and the lightness and banter still presented. There's lots of action and tense moments, but nothing that felt overwhelming to me. It was fascinating learning more about this society as we learned right alongside Nalena. It's a somewhat complicated thing. Not the plot so much, but the history and background of the Ianua (which you'll learn about in book one if you haven't read it).

I very highly recommend you give this series a shot. I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well done it is and you'll fall in love with the world and characters presented inside.

This book was provided for review but all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
To find this review and others like it, head to my blog at http://candacesbookblog.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keystone.