Angela Fristoe's Reviews > Blink Once

Blink Once by Cylin Busby

Aug 06, 2012

bookshelves: ya-books
Read from August 06 to September 05, 2012

First, I have to admit I would have read this book based on the cover alone, although the synopsis did interest me as well. Blink Once had been on my to-read shelf for a while before I finally had the time to read it (real life just kept getting in the way), and when I did start reading it, it was immediately after I finished reading another book about a girl who wakes from a coma and the dreams she had. Thankfully, the two books were completely different.

West had an amazing voice as a narrator. He is semi-aware of what is going on and from what he does know, he is in denial. He is unwilling to accept that he is permanently paralyzed and constantly tries to prove to himself and others that he is recovering. He's not lying there moping, and instead fills his awake time trying to piece together what has happened to him and what is going to happen to him. He drifts between dreams, awareness, and a state of semi-consciousness, and the lines between the three blur frequently. This added to the sense of confusion he sometimes experiences and had me wondering which parts were real and which weren't.

Olivia was just as interesting. She has obviously been a long term patient and is desperate for someone to connect to. She clings to West in a way that only pure loneliness can. At first she seemed just lonely and bored, wanting West to get better so they can communicate easier. But by the end there is obviously a part of her that is very selfish and sad. She's not completely likable, but she's not unlikable either. Just somewhere in the middle, that makes her story even sadder.

The only thing that kept me from giving this 5 stars is that I felt the big secret Olivia has was pretty obvious by about the halfway point. I wish that part hadn't been so predictable.

Check out more of my reviews on my blog Turning the Pages

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink Once.

09/03/2012 page 30