Randi's Reviews > Lord John and the Private Matter

Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon

Aug 14, 2012

liked it
Read from August 06 to 14, 2012

This book is an indirect part of the Outlander series. While I enjoyed the expansion of the main character, Lord John Grey's role in these stories, I was a little bored throughout the book while at the same time it's interesting. It's definitely historical and the fact that he's gay kept me intrigued me throughout. I never thought what it means for a gay person in that era, even though it doesn't show too much about that part as he was focused on whether a character was good enough to wed his cousin so her reputation doesn't get ruined if it turned out he wasn't good for her, or her reputation will be intact if he was a good man for her. Then murders show up and Lord Grey investigated on these.

The book has mystery where Lord Grey became a detective in its plot. It is interesting and refreshing from the Lord Grey I knew from Outlander series and I think the book really brought to the light on how the author characterized him in the Outlander series and sticked to it in Lord Grey's stories. It's not a bad diversion and after all it's 300 pages - shorter than what an average Outlander book is, trust me!

It is not a normal historical mystery taken place in 1700s, trust me. It's a good read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord John and the Private Matter.