Tom's Reviews > The Marvelous Land of Oz

The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum

M 50x66
Aug 08, 12

Read from August 06 to 07, 2012

Book two of Baum's Oz books is a fairly nice continuation of the original. It has the same silly logic and kid-friendly plots, plus it introduced longstanding Oz characters Jack Pumpkinhead, the Sawhorse, Mombi the witch, Princess Ozma, the pompous Woggle-Bug, and the Gump, along with giving the Wizard a darker side unseen before. I think I even remember a video version from when I was a kid on cable.

That said, this one may be more dated than the previous one due to the Army of Revolt led by General (later Queen) Jinjur. I don't know if Baum is using them to comment on women's rights movements, but if he is, he must not have been much of a fan. Since the Army's goal is to throw off male oppression, but do so mostly so they can sit around, gossip, and pry out the Emerald City's emeralds in order to buy gowns, while making the men do housework, and using knitting needles as weapons, and then seeing the women of the Emerald City gladly go back to their old roles since the men couldn't cook a good meal to save their lives, well, they seem to fit every negative female stereotype imaginable. Let's just say the Army didn't age very well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marvelous Land of Oz.