Jane's Reviews > Evernight

Evernight by Claudia Gray

F 50x66
Nov 24, 08

Recommended for: people who will give up good writing for some vampire sex and a gothy feel.
Read in August, 2008, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Evernight, by Claudia Gray, pseudonym of Amy Vincent, starts out with an okay plot, but the choppy writing and barf-y love story make it seem like the worst Twilight rip off possible.

The gothy setting combined with the suspicion and eerie-ness of the students are lost on the reader when they realize that the main character, somehow "failed to mention" the minor detail of BEING A VAMPIRE. Of course, this is merely an easy way for Miss Gray to reveal in the middle the detail that keeps the story moving, despite the fact that it's lazy to try to patch together a story that way.

Claudia Gray does little justice to a plot with potential. She navigates her way through the story with all the deftness and skill of a drunk sea captain steering a flooded ship through a hurricane. And that makes for one huge disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evernight.

Avice Whittall I was pretty much done with the book after that. I was like ummmm kinda important info. I read a few chapters after that, but I was pretty disgusted too. I couldn't finish the book!

Stephanie I agree. It would have been better better had the story started out with that info. Since the book was written in the first person, it would make since to be privvy to what she was keeping secret, or at least the knowledge that there was a secret at all. It would have made a more exciting plot to figure out if or when she was going to tell Lucas instead of getting half way through the book wondering if anything was ever going to happen.

Avice Whittall An odd way to write a book!!!!