Van's Reviews > Hearts of Darkness

Hearts of Darkness by Kira Brady

Aug 10, 12

Read from August 06 to 10, 2012

I knew I wanted to read this book right when I read the summary, I’m a sucker for any book with werewolves or shifters…and this book had both!! Before starting this book, I read several reviews that compared this series to Karen M. Moning’s Fever series. I love the Fever series as much as the next reader, but after reading this book the similarities to the Fever series are the main heroine trying to find out who killed her sister and her sister’s link to a supernatural world. Other than those two tid-bits, the similarities ended there. This is one of the most original paranormal romances I’ve read all year; I love everything about this book from the characters, to the appealing world-building.

The novel takes place in an alternate Seattle, where ghosts/Wraiths are the cause of the occasional black outs around the city and the unknowing humans are dependent on the old invention of gas lamps to light the dark. Kayla Friday, our heroine of the novel arrives in Seattle to identify her sister’s body and what she doesn’t know is that she just walked right into a war that has been brewing between two shifter races for control of the city. The two main shifter clans are The Kivati (Native American) who can shift to any animal on the totem pole) and the Drekar (Norse) who are Dragon shifters.

I really enjoyed the world that Mrs. Brady created. She did a wonderful job of blending Native American, Babylonian and Norse Mythology together for a flawless story with strong-unique characters. Kayla, I don’t really know how I feel about her, there were times when I admired her and other times felt annoyed with her. Hart, was the typical tortured-bad boy, alpha male which will have readers swooning over him. There were also secondary characters that made a lasting impressing such as; Grace, a small girl known as The Reaper, Oscar another fellow comrade of Hart, Lucia the prophesied princess, Sven the Drekar and many more. The pacing of the book was great, it keep getting more interesting with each page and never let up even till the end. There were so many interesting characters in this book, and what I like about this book was that there wasn’t necessary a bad guy or a good guy...everyone was in the gray area. Everyone made their choices because they believe that it was the right thing to do, which was refreshing to see from the norm of other books.

There were a lot of twists near the end of the book, which took me by surprised…totally didn’t see it coming! This is a first book in a planned trilogy, and while the book ended on a good note for our main hero/heroine the ending sets the next book up for a whole new problem that needs to be solved. I highly recommend this to Urban Fantasy, Paranormal and even Fantasy Fans. If you’re looking for a new, refreshing read full of complex characters, and a dark and gritty world look no further….this series is worth checking out! I can’t wait to read book 2, Hearts of Shadow which comes out May 2013.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts of Darkness.