Rachel Piper's Reviews > Unbreak My Heart

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa C. Walker

Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-teen, own-ebook, summer
Read from August 06 to 08, 2012

4.5 stars. This is probably the best summer book besides My Life Next Door that I've read this year, but I dock it half a star because it took me a little while to get into. That's a personal issue, though--I've just read so many teen books lately that flash back and forth in time that it initially grated on me. Overall it worked, though, and was the best way to have told the story.

There is a love story here--two, sort of--but the focus is on Clementine and how she deals with figuring out and forgiving herself. I really liked her as a main character--her personality felt so real. Also, the dialogue and descriptions feel so true to the teens in the book--sometimes, even great authors turn out dialogue that's stilted or too adult-witty to be believable coming from teens. Clem and her friends were very funny but also very goofy, which reminded me of my friends from high school. And the technology of the day is included in a way that makes sense. Facebook plays a small but vital role here, but it's used in a way that feels very natural, not in a way that smacks of an author shoehorning in a reference because she thinks it'll earn her teen cred or whatever.

I definitely recommend this book to fans of contemporary teen novels, especially anyone feeling a bit burned out on forgettable protagonists from summery teen books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbreak My Heart.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by CLM (new) - rated it 4 stars

CLM Good recommendation. I agree it started slow but was very good. The depiction of Clem and her little sister was excellent.