Von Sowards's Reviews > The Silver Chair

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, christian

While The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was kind of a little odd due to the play on symbolism, The Silver Chair redeems the series to a more normal and symbolic plain, but still with dash of oddity. The main spiritual message of this book is that often we find that our course of wrong action are what bind us down and enslave us even though we in our mind think that these actions are giving us joy and happiness, even freedom.
The journey that the heroes take is symbolic of our journey that we take. It is called The Great Plan of Salvation. Before we were born we lived with God in Heaven. We learned from him and He sent us to earth to learn and help others. Not until we have accomplished all that He sent us out of his presence to do will we be worthy to return to His presence and become like him. In The Silver Chair Jill and Scrub start in Aslan's country. There Aslan teaches Jill that he will send her to Narnia where they will need to go save a lost prince (who is in apostasy) and then she will come home. They go through the journey and need to remember things like reading scriptures. Finally after they die they then find the lost prince and bring him back to the light. Then they are resurrected and return home. I love how Lewis shows the great plan of our God. We begin in heaven with him and that is our end goal. At dead we do not go straight back to the final judgement but to a place where we can still help our friends repent and come unto Christ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Chair.