Eric's Reviews > The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life

The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life by Tara Altebrando

Feb 02, 13

bookshelves: older-ya-vibe, pop-culture-goodness, love-me-some-gay-boys, new-england, young-adult-fiction
Read from August 06 to 07, 2012

¡Ayúdame! How much I loved this book. What's kind of crazy is how there were a few moments of "WAKE UP MARY!" sprinkled in and I still loved it. I won't ruin it for anyone but honestly, scavenger hunts have never been more fun in a book. If you're looking for a movie...Scavenger Hunt with Arnold. Bless his heart, Arnold Schwarzenegger, in one of his first real movies. Anyway, focus Eric, the book is fun. I like how it doesn't matter about who's smart or quicker, it's really about loving life (24/7!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life.

08/07/2012 page 179
75.0% "She. is. an. idiot. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that Mary is Über (the umlaut is specific!) attractive inside and out and she's not paying any attention enough to realize everyone falling over her while she kills herself for the "good looking" guy. Aside from that obviousness of the story, its pretty good, the Scav Hunt seems interesting enough to keep anyone going who is motivated. I am definitely motivated..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by equilibri (new) - added it

equilibri Hmm, so true. Isn't it just so tiring to read about all these unreasonably insecure teenage girls? I understand self-esteem issues and self-doubt are pretty much unavoidable in a book about teenagers, but still... all this whining... too much. Give me some kick-ass characters, you know?

Eric Clearly, I agree with you, I just haven't seen many kickass female leads. If such books existed I would read them. Well to be honest Evie (Paranormalcy) didn't care, she definitely KATN, and still was a bit of a "girly girl". It worked overall but there were a few points of gooeyness and good old Reth was ready to pull her in when needed. But I see you only rated the first book 3 stars. Hmm. I'll keep looking. Onto the next book!

message 3: by equilibri (last edited Aug 07, 2012 03:13PM) (new) - added it

equilibri Don't mind me, I'm just creepily stingy with my stars, I can only make myself click on that five if a book really impressed me - and I don't get impressed often. Aren't I just a little ray of sunshine?

I actually liked Paranormalcy, though it was at times a bit too fluffy for my tastes. You know, Rachel Hawkins' Hex Hall trilogy has a very similar feel to it. You should give it a try, if you want something like Paranormalcy. I appreciate a heroine who can deliver a good wisecrack, so I enjoyed it.
Ooh, I know, I'll drop off some good paranormals with a snarky vibe for you - you'll probably enjoy that. What was it you named it, 'sarcasm is my shield'? Nice.
So, if you're in the mood, I absolutely insist you try Demons at Deadnight. I literally laughed the whole time I was reading it. The dilogues were really witty, and the MC was kinda kickass.

Eric I am in! If you're giving it a 5* I am totally in. Although, it's not an audiobook so I'm going to have to wait a few days but I am already on Demons at Deadnight. Also Hex Hall is on my phone ready to listen. I will get back to you, ty.