Jennifer's Reviews > The Spirit Well

The Spirit Well by Stephen R. Lawhead

Sep 04, 12

bookshelves: ebook, earcs, contemporary, fantasy, world, historical
Read from August 06 to 28, 2012

I requested this book not knowing it was part of a series, but luckily I was able to find both previous books at the library, so I could read them first. I think this book probably could have stood alone, but I'm very glad I had the background of the first two. The series as a whole moves pretty fast, though the reader has to be vigilant to keep track of all the characters (many of whom are related in some manner) and all the times and places. For this is a book about ley travel--not time travel, as the book keeps pointing out, since the characters move about in the various universes as well as time--and sometimes it's hard to keep up with the various plot lines. This book finally brings together some of the characters that have been flung about along these ley lines, and some of the mysteries of previous books have been answered. But the book ends without resolving much, leading to the desire to know what happens RIGHT NOW. I was a little disappointed to realize this is not a part of a trilogy (thus ending the series) but the third of five, so then ending is expected, if not satisfying. For a book from a publisher I associate with publishing Christian fiction it was surprisingly open-minded, and the science (such as it is) is well researched. The historical characters seem realistic, and the fictional characters are becoming more and more fleshed out as the series progresses. I took a break from reading this one to catch up on a few other books during my vacation, but I didn't have any trouble picking it up again. I'll keep an eye out for the future books in the series, which is sort of funny, since I remember when I saw the first book on a store shelf and didn't end up buying it. I'm glad I gave the series a chance.

Received as a digital ARC via Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spirit Well.