Savindi's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from September 19 to 22, 2012

Cover Gushing Worthiness: I think the cover of Every Day suits the book really well. However it is quite similar to the book cover of Tempest (Tempest, #1) by Julie Cross by Julie Cross. Every Day has the same sort of idea behind it. I think the cover captures the chaos of being someone different every day and learning to adapt to their life. The final verdict is I really like this cover.

Review: Regular visitors to The Streetlight Reader know how much I enjoy David Levithan’s work. I honestly had no idea he had written a new book until I saw a picture of a stack of Every Day books on facebook and immediately pre-ordered it. I’ve heard that the premise is similar to a tv showed called Quantum Leap. I haven’t watched this show actually, but maybe those of you who have read the book and watched the show can tell me what you think?

I really liked the premise of this book. Even though sometimes we refer to ourselves as being non-judgmental and this isn't always true. We do judge people, I mean that’s how we choose our friends and acquaintances. We can't choose our families, but you get what I mean! Where I'm going with the judgment point is, how do you love someone who is different without judging at all when they appear in front of you? You know they are the person you love, but they're living someone else’s life. How do you wrap your head around that concept? I think that’s why I liked this book so much, because it questioned one of the core aspects of being human. How do you love unconditionally? Is it even possible?

I liked learning about A living the lives of different people for the day. Just to let the readers know, A is 16 years old and therefore the lives entered are usually those of other 16-year-old teenagers. What Every Day touched upon was how different and yet how similar the lives of people are. In the end we want more or less the same things; love, respect, honesty, friendship etc. Some of the lives A entered were disturbing and you genuinely felt for some of the people, while others reminded you of some of the preppy kids who were so rude to you during High School. The beautiful thing about this novel was none of the lives were unrealistic. Levithan wrote the lives of these individuals in a way where the reader can relate to at least one of them and I appreciated that.

I don't think it’s possible to find fault with the writing or pacing of the book because this is such a different story from what I usually read. Every Day was a different life, so therefore it was hard to find a climax and to be honest I had no problem with that.

As for the characters I liked A a lot. I’m trying not to refer to A as he or she because A appears to be an entity who is genderless. However as I was reading the book I think A can be referred to as ‘He’. There were some lives where you wished A didn't interfere as much as he did because you rooted for some of the other people in the person’s life, but other than that I found myself feeling for A and the circumstances he had to go through (okay I said I was trying not to use personal pronouns and it’s a bit hard!). Wendy from The Midnight Garden mentioned the relationship between Rhiannon and A and how it developed quite fast in her review. I have to say I agree with her. I wasn’t sure what made Rhiannon so special in A’s eyes, but it might have been that they were both looking for something better in their lives. Personally I liked Rhiannon a lot too. She was a realistic character who responded the way anyone would if they were told the person they're interested in lives in a different body every day. I also appreciated her honesty when she admitted she wasn't sure if she could do this. Justin was the jerk boyfriend as expected, but I did want to know more about his and Rhiannon’s relationship. The character I despised the most and can be seen as the antagonist of the story was Reverend Pool. He just made my skin crawl, but I did like the twist that involved him in the end.

Throughout the story I did root for a relationship between A and Rhiannon. It was bittersweet to see how hard they were trying to do it without expectations, feelings of resentment and trying to define their relationship. After all I don’t think their relationship falls into any relationship category in existence. What I liked about their relationship was it made you question hope and reality. Is it right to hope when you know in reality things are different? Is it okay to hope for a miracle?

Overall, Every Day was an enjoyable read. A part of me felt that it was missing a some kind of Levithan spark and I might have felt that way because there was no proper ending. The more I think about it, this book isn’t about getting all the answers, rather it is about exploring your own ideas and conceptions of what love is and what it should be. I’m going to include some of my favourite quotes from the book. I hope you enjoy them!

"I want love to conquer all. But love can’t conquer anything. It can’t do anything on its own. It relies on us to do the conquering on its behalf."

"The moment you fall in love feels like it has centuries behind it, generations – all of them rearranging themselves so this precise, remarkable intersection could happen. In your heart, in your bones, no matter how silly you know it is, you feel that everything has been leading to this, all the secret arrows were pointing here, the universe and time itself crafted this long ago, and you are just now realizing it, you are just now arriving at the place you were always meant to be." .

"Kindness connects to who you are, while niceness connects to how you want to be seen.

My Rating: 4.5/5

Would I recommend it? Yes

If you'd like to read Wendy's review for Every Day you can do so here.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.

Quotes Savindi Liked

David Levithan
“I want love to conquer all. But love can't conquer anything. It can't do anything on it's own.
It relies on us to do the conquering on its behalf.”
David Levithan, Every Day
tags: love

09/19/2012 page 25
09/21/2012 page 148
44.0% "Oh A and Rhiannon...how are you going to make this work?"
09/21/2012 page 242
72.0% "Honestly if A was a guy and was my age, I think I'd go out with him in a heartbeat, just based on the fact that he's read The Book Thief."
09/22/2012 page 266
79.0% "Wow A...I can't believe you just did that..."
09/22/2012 page 292
86.0% "I hate Poole. This character gives me the creeps.."
show 2 hidden updates…