Leila Summers's Reviews > Praise of Motherhood

Praise of Motherhood by Phil Jourdan

Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: memoir
Read in August, 2012

I was given this book to review as part of a blog tour.

This story begins when the author, Phil Jourdan, receives news that his mother, Sophia, is in hospital and that he needs to fly home to Portugal right away. By the time he and his sister arrive, it is too late. Sophia’s tragic death from an unexpected brain aneurysm leaves Phil feeling completely out at sea. This book is his way of trying to make some kind of sense of the enormous loss of a woman who played such a supportive and pivotal role in his life.

We as readers become privy to an extremely honest and introspective reflection of the author’s mental anguishes. He describes his mother as a kind and long suffering woman who was a pillar of strength through his, sometimes lengthy, recollections of his psychologically unstable adolescence. The first two chapters were awkward for me, but by chapter three, I got into the flow. The bulk of the story weaves in and out of past and present; reality and imagination; memories and myths. At times it is not immediately clear who is speaking, or whether it is in fact an actual conversation or one that never took place other than in the author’s own head. Though I found the dialogue in the book particularly authentic, the lack of punctuation did bother me somewhat.

Throughout the book, you feel the intense pain of the loss of a woman who was snatched from the author far too soon. She was his hiding place from the storms that raged within him, his emotional struggles, and constant anxiousness about the world. I felt that some of the rantings were unnecessary to the reader, though they probably provided the author with an outlet. Particularly toward the end of the book when he lashes out at various people. Though I found this distasteful, I understood it to be a part of the questioning and grieving process.

Praise of Motherhood is a very human portrayal of loss and how those left behind have to muddle through it on their own. In the end, the reader is left with the importance of appreciating those who are dear to us while we still have the chance. As readers, we never walk away from a memoir untouched.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Praise of Motherhood.