Stephen's Reviews > The Mysterious Affair at Styles

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

Jan 07, 13

bookshelves: books-read-in-2013, detective-stories, available-free-on-line
Read from January 01 to 07, 2013 — I own a copy

When a war wearied Captain Hastings is furloughed for a rest cure he accepts an invitation from an old friend to spend some time convalescing at Styles. He's all too happy to accept and is surprised to learn that an old acquaintance, a retired Belgian police inspector is a war refugee staying nearby. But when Hastings finds that his hostess has been murdered he enlists the aid of his old acquaintance Hurcule Poirot to investigate.

Just finished this and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than I expected I would. While I've enjoyed a few of Ms. Christie's more popular works I'd read reviews suggesting that this one was a less satisfying read. I found it to be among her best. This was the first episode with Hercule Poirot and she seemed to feel more obliged to stay closer to the trope than in later works. Looking back at the mystery in hind sight the clues were all laid out more clearly than in a few of her later works and she made it more of a solve it yourself challenge as well.

It was also nice to see the scenes of Hastings on his own before he fell so deeply under the influence of Poirot.

By all means this should be read by mystery fans and fans of Christie and Poirot as well.

I do need to mention that I read this in Kindle form (a free copy) that I got from Amazon.com. While the mystery was still enjoyable, there were several missing illustrations that were clearly referenced in the text that were NOT in the Kindle version I read. Given the nature of the mystery, these were missed more than they might have been in another book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

01/02/2013
7.0% "Hastings arrives at Styles"
01/05/2013
21.0% "The dowager is dead!"
01/05/2013
45.0% "Poirot Mr I is not the culprit"
01/06/2013
69.0% "Hastings proposal and Bauerstein arrested"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Agree that the illustrations would enhance the reading. Some Kindle publications do include illustrations.