Alexis's Reviews > Faking It

bookshelves: romance, my-reviews
Recommended to Alexis by: Erin
Recommended for: Romantic comedy fans
Read in November, 2008

Tilda Goodnight is an artist working out of the gallery that's been in her family for hundreds of years. Her whole family lives in the building that the gallery is located in, and in the basement they hide the family secrets. And this family has a lot of secrets.

Enter Davy Dempsey (previously seen in Welcome to Temptation). He comes from a family with a lot of secrets, too. When he and Tilda realize they have a common goal and a need to commit a crime, they start working together - and falling for each other.

That said, this book is absolutely ridiculous. Nothing really makes any sense, and the actions of the characters are totally unbelievable. Information is just kind of thrown at the reader, and you're left to puzzle it out, which is difficult to do because nobody acts like a normal human being. There isn't an ounce of realism in this book, and I guess if that's what you're looking for that's fine. It's like a bad rom-com crime caper.

Case in point: Clea Lewis (who I suppose is the antagonist, although she's really quite harmless) is confronted by Ronald, who is trying to help her reach her goals. Clea herself is like a Marilyn Monroe paper doll. She is drama in just two dimensions. Ronald is in love with her body, and he keeps trying to tell her he has information but she continually waves him off and then makes him leave, and never gets the info. Ronald is so easily put off that it's hard to believe. He just pops in and out of the plot when he's needed (*cough*device*cough*) and then disappears. What is he doing? Where is he staying? How does everyone get into that house so easily? When he finally delivers the precious information, it's during part of a hastily tied-together ending where everyone shows up and reveals all.

And that's the problem with all of the characters. They're all annoyingly flat. There are some humorous aspects, but they feel out of place most of the time. And what is it with Jennifer Crusie's penchant for telling you exactly what songs the characters are listening to at every moment? Is that really necessary? Do I need to know what song comes on every time they press a button on the damn jukebox? I don't think so. And while I get that it's a Dempsey trademark to spout movie quotes, it's annoying, as well.

The characters are ridiculous, the plot is ridiculous, and the relationship between Tilda and Davy is ridiculous. Crusie needs a better editor, pronto.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faking It.

11/24/2008 page 104
show 1 hidden update…

Alexis I cannot believe I've read two books in a row with the quote "Do not forsake me, oh, my darling" included.