Cameron's Reviews > Magic to the Bone

Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk

Nov 24, 08

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in November, 2008

I will freely admit to being a snob with my urban fantasy; as hypocritical as it may be considering the genre, I just cannot stand the paranormal romances that increasingly bulge off of the bookshelves. I found Monk's title in my old Waldenbooks where genres are a tad more fluid and took the chance that it was not of the paranormal romance ilk, trusting in Roc's growing reputation as the leader in urban fantasy. I was intrigued by her description of magic use. In reading the novel, I was not disappointed in how she unfolds her world, in fact, I think it is clever and fresh and a markedly realistic take on a possible expression of modern magic - one that entails literal bodily sacrifice in the form of pain or sickness in exchange for magical access, attended by the inevitable bureaucratic mismanagement that accompanies human civilization.
Conversely, I was disappointed in the tones of genre romance that threatened to raise my bile. I dislike the "love" interest, and I place that in quotations because I doubt highly the relationship that evolved sporadically in the book. The relationship seemed to be fueled soley by him being present at the precise moment the heroine Allie is in trouble, saving the day. Allie's status as the renegade destitute heiress besotted of the mysterious knight in sparkling magic further perpetuated the irksome romance vibes.
Having cleared that however, I do look forward to the next book, as Allie's secondary payment for magic use of losing bits of her memory elicits a nice plot device that Monk can exploit to hopefully tease out the relationship between Allie and her knight in sparkling magic.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic to the Bone.