Catherine J.'s Reviews > Kasher in the Rye: The True Tale of a White Boy from Oakland Who Became a Drug Addict, Criminal, Mental Patient, and Then Turned 16

Kasher in the Rye by Moshe Kasher

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012-bookventures
Read from August 06 to 07, 2012

I ordered this book on Amazon after seeing a few minutes of Moshe Kasher on our local Shaw TV, but most especially after hearing him on the Vancouver-based podcast, Stop Podcasting Yourself. My husband joked that the book would arrive, and I would have finished reading it, before we even finished listening to that episode of SPY.

I'm loving this book. I'm a big fan of autobiographical works/memoirs, and this one is hitting all of my favourite buttons.

He tends to write in a way that is similar to the way he talks. As in, maybe it's not grammatically perfect, but it's *funny*, and it's *real*. Also, he's sarcastic much of the time, and I'm a lover of sarcasm.

It gives great insight into being a Hassidic Jew (or rather, being forced to live as a super-Hassidic Jew for a few weeks a year due to his father), from the point of view of someone who lived through it, for better or for worse.

It gives even better insight into the life of a drug addict, from someone who actually made it through.

It's a really visceral read, and one I couldn't put down until I was finally finished it. I had *nightmares* about this book.

You absolutely find yourself wanting this description of everything horrible Kasher did and experienced to just *end*. You wonder how someone could go *through* that much and actually come out the other side. And you figure he had to have done so, or he wouldn't be writing the book.

In the end (er, rather, somewhere in the middle), you find yourself wondering why you wanted to read this book in the first place, as you're quite sure this isn't what you signed up for.

This book isn't for everyone. Really, it isn't. If you want an *honest* portrayal of, well, see the title of the book, then absolutely read this book. But go in prepared for something visceral and nightmarish (the content, not the writing - the writing is pretty brilliant). If you're looking for a feel-good read of the summer, TURN BACK ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE.

That said, I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kasher in the Rye.

08/06/2012 page 75