Wooden Horse's Reviews > The Calder Game

The Calder Game by Blue Balliett

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: chapters-middle-readers
Read in August, 2012

Set in England this is the third book in the series. I have read only the first book, Chasing Vermeer, and this one and didn't have a problem picking up the characters after several years and hundreds of books read or listened to in between so it isn't necessary to read them "in the published order".
In this book Calder and his father travel to England where the "Minotaur" by Alexander Calder has recently been donated anonymously to a sleepy little town that would really prefer it to have been donated to a different location. The story begins with both the Minotaur and a boy disappearing and ends happily ever after. I utilized my local libraries online audio library to download and listen to this story and found myself staying up late and getting up early to continue the story.
I liked that although the kids in the book are junior high age there isn't any awkward moments for any of them. They are just three creative and ingenious friends solving mysteries revolving around famous artists and their work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calder Game.