Carol's Reviews > All-of-a-Kind Family

All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

Aug 06, 12

Recommended to Carol by: The Librarian at the Dana Branch Library.
read count: 6

I realize how much I love the books I read as a child, because I get so excited just thinking about them. These books were an amazing treasure to me. I had never read about any other Jewish children. To read of the richness of their lives, even while they lived in relative poverty on the Lower East Side of New York, filled me with joy, and some envy. It was this series of books, that I read and reread over and over again, that informed my impression of life in that era, a time when my grandmother and her family came over from Europe, and seemingly like everyone else, settled there. I remember beautiful Ella, mischievous Henny, hard working and creative Papa and Mamma, and Lena the Greena, the greenhorn with a limp who won their hearts. There were several incidents that thrilled me. One involved finding some children's books, and the other was a way to get the children, including Sarah, interested in doing her dusting chores. I loved reading this books again with my own daughter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-of-a-Kind Family.