Jenn's Reviews > Battlefield

Battlefield by Cloud S. Riser

Aug 06, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012, book-tour
Read from August 05 to 06, 2012

Battlefield is the first book in a new series about three teenagers whom after being approached by an alien discover that they have powers. The teens are told that they have been chosen to fight in an intergalactic battle that is going to be taking place on Earth. These teenagers who would never have run in the same circles pre-alien meeting, must put aside their differences to work together and save the teenagers from their school that end up missing or dead.

I like that J.F. Jenkins didn't choose three characters that were already best friends. I think it makes it more interesting to learn about the differences in their characters, their personal motivations, their personal struggles, and how they grow throughout the book. I like Alanmendiquixanimackle, or Alan for short (whew! What a mouthful) but I also wonder what side he is truly on, after I began learning about Alona. It doesn't really seem to have clear cut lines in some places. I'm hoping to learn more about this in the second book, which I've already purchased for my Kindle.

I think the writing style was clean and easy to read. The story was easy to follow and a quick read for me. One critique I have is that I really couldn't tell you what JD looks like. I don't really recall him being described and if he was, it was in a way that wasn't very memorable. I had no idea that he was Hispanic until we meet his sister near the end of the book. Cadence is described slightly better - but the only characters I really have a strong sense of what they look like are Orlando, Alan and Tait.

I'm really hoping that the next book expands more on Orlando's parents - because I think there is fishy going on there.

Overall, I give the book 4 stars. I didn't notice many grammatical errors, and the pacing was good for me. I think this book would be better suited for younger teens, just based on the maturity level of the teens in this book. As I mentioned, I've already purchased book two, and will review once it's read. Happy reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battlefield.