Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)'s Reviews > The Knight, the Princess & the Magic Rock: A Classic Persian Tale

The Knight, the Princess & the Magic Rock by Sara Azizi

Aug 06, 12

Read on August 06, 2012

This is the star-crossed love story of Bijan, a brave knight from Persia and Manijeh, princess of Persia's enemy. It is the story of how Manijeh saved Bijan from certain death, the kingdoms made peace and the lovers were able to spend the rest of their lives together, all because of a magic rock. I thought this was an interesting story, being that it was one that was entirely new to me. I have a mjor obsession with fairy tales and folklore, especially those from other countries (the U.S. is sort of new compared to the rest of the world!). I loved the illustrations and thought that they were definitely the focal point of the book. They had me wishing that I owned a Kindle Fire so I could see them in color. A major complaint about the story is that the author felt the need to re-tell it as a Grandpa telling it to his grandkids. Not necessary at all. The story would have stood on its own two feet well enough without that intro clogging up the beginning. Also, the style of telling was so factual that I felt a lot of the potential magic and beauty was lost. Yes, it's a kid's book and needs to be simple - that doesn't mean it can't be beautiful in its simplicity, rather than textbook. Worth reading for someone who is teaching or taking a class in folklore/myth/fairy tales or for an elementary school teacher. Also could be enjoyed by anyone who likes this sort of story and has never heard the tale before.

VERDICT: 3/5 Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book was published July 16th, 2012.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knight, the Princess & the Magic Rock.