Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Easy

Easy by Tammara Webber

Nov 05, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-100-book-challenge, 2012-release, books-i-own, mundie-moms-reviews, 2012-debut-author
Read in November, 2012

Now I understand what all the hype over this book has been about. Wow, what a read. Easy, which was previously self published by the author, Tammara Webber, is being released TOMORROW by Penguin! You can read Sophie's review for it here. I am so glad a publishing house like Penguin picked this book up! It's one of those well written books that incorporates a lot of realistic elements into it's story and tackles the tougher subjects, like rape, flawlessly. With beautiful written, broken, strong characters, Easy is what's called a New Adult book that fits in between the YA and Adult category perfectly. While I admire Tammara's ability to shed light on something that our society still has issues talking about, I know this won't be a book for everyone, but it's one I'd recommend to a lot of people, especially to older high school readers and college students.

Date Rape and rape in general is a hard subject to write about, let alone read about, but it's one I feel needs to be read. Reportedly a rape occurs every 2 mins in the US, and 42% of rape victims NEVER tell anyone. This statistic breaks my heart. The story's main character Jacqueline is a victim of an attempted rape, and while I at first was so mad at her for not reporting this attack when it first happened, I quickly sympathized with her and understood her fear, and her wanting to just move along and get on with her life, even though after that attack it changed her, and the way she did things. Honestly, who wouldn't be changed after that. What I didn't except to find myself doing was going through all of her emotions after it. I got her pain, her fear, her hurt, and her determination to not let this thing own her. For me Jacqueline quickly went from being a fictional character to being a face of people I know who have experienced similar attacks as hers. She become real, and her story did as well.

I loved Tammara's secondary characters as much as I loved Jacqueline. These characters made this story real. They gave voices to the various sides of rape, and the myths that our society still has about it. They made Jacqueline not feel alone. They gave her the aid she needed in finding her voice, they helped her learn to defend herself, and made her realize she was a victim! That it wasn't her fault. Others fell into the norm... they took sides, they didn't believe the hot guy on campus could do something like this, and then there are the ones who talked about rape, and what rape really is. I felt like Tammara did an amazing job at the way she handled rape and the situations that presented themselves after the first attack. She made this story about surviving.

Mixed into this story is a very complex, sensual relationship between the hot bad boy, Lucas and Jacqueline. Can Lucas be any more well written!? Seriously, he broke my heart and had me swooning for him all at the same time! I wish I could talk about all the things I loved about him and the relationship that develops with Jacqueline, but I can't without giving away spoilers. The pacing with their relationship, and really the entire storyline was spot on. I will say, this is a story for mature readers. There are a variety of mature subject matters addressed in this book, and mixed into that is the underlining theme of hope, surviving, and falling in love.

Here are some statistics about RAPE according to AAUW / RAINN:
EVERY 2 mins in the US a sexually assault happens
- 80% are under the age of 30
- 95% of attacks are unreported
- 3% of college women nationally have experience rape or attempted rape during their academic year
- 90% of rape victims know their attacker
- 42% of women we are raped tell NO ONE
- 5% of rape incidents are reported to the police, 10 times more rapes are reported to crisis lines than to the police.
- 80% of women who are raped try to physically resist
- 43% of college aged men conceded to using coercive behavior to have sex (ignoring the women's protests) and don't admit it was rape.
- 80% of rape victims suffer chronic physical or psychological problems over time.
- 13 times as many rape survivors are more likely to attempt suicide, than those ware not victims of crime.
If you or someone you know has been a victim or rape or an attempted rape, you ARE NOT ALONE! You can call 911, RAINN (1-800-656-HOPE).

********************************

SOPHIE'S REVIEW from 8/12

I'm sure you guys are familiar with this scenario. One minute you're happily attacking your TBR pile and you're feeling mildly successful and the next minute you're getting a text, seeing someone else's review and a tweet or two about this Drop Everything, Must Read Book. If you're like me, you ignore those. But something kept drawing me into Easy's synopsis.

Okay so here's the deal, I loved college. I loved the struggle of finding my adult self while trying to negotiate the hell hallowed halls of Academia Land. Tammara brings this struggle to life while tackling a tough subject -- date rape. And that is a subject I normally stay away from reading because it simply hurts my heart. However, it's an important subject and one that has staggering statistics attached to it. According to crisisconnection.com, there is a rape on an American college campus every 21 hours.

You should all know me by now, there has to be character growth in order for me to lovelovelove a story. Jacqueline is such a wonderful character -- to go through her pain, her acceptance of what happened to her and keep her determination to right a terrible wrong -- made me want to jump up and hug her. Yes, I know she's fictional and yet, that's exactly what I wanted to do.

Tammara also gives Jacqueline a great supporting cast of secondary characters. I won't go on about them (because of spoilers), but their growth provided Jacqueline (and yes, me) with a comfort level that things will change but perhaps they change for the better.

And oh yeah, you're waiting for it...so umm, Lucas. He zoomed onto my Favorite Fictional Boys List with that motorcycle and tattoos of his. What did I like about him? Can't tell you. Spoilers. I'll add that he's very complex. ComplexBadBoys? They should stand on the shelf next to my HotBoyswithSwords.

This is labeled on goodreads as a "Mature Young Adult/New Adult" book. The story is realistic, hopeful and yes, sensual/romantic (which sounds wrong given the subject matter, but please read the book to see why I labeled it just that). I give Tammara and "A+" for making my summer doldrums go away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Easy.

message 1: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry Johnson whoa, sounds good. I was just looking for a good contemp to read next. Thanks!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Terry wrote: "whoa, sounds good. I was just looking for a good contemp to read next. Thanks!"

You're welcome! It's a really good read! I hope you enjoy it.

Carmel I loved this too! I even have the indie version signed by Tammarra!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Carmel wrote: "I loved this too! I even have the indie version signed by Tammarra!"

I'm so glad you loved it too! I've got the indie version as well, and I want to read it just to see what, if anything, that changed between the two version. That's so cool you have a signed one!

message 5: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry Johnson just purchased!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Terry wrote: "just purchased!"

YAY!!! Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) I can't wait to read this!! I was supposed to in September and got overloaded. :(

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Michele (CanadianTwiMom) wrote: "I can't wait to read this!! I was supposed to in September and got overloaded. :("

This is one Sophie had been bugging me to read. She kept telling me how good it was, but I had other book commitments I had to fulfill before I could sit down and really read this. After I read it, I wish I had just read it when she first told me too. It's good!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) I know that's exactly how I'll feel Katie!