Bailey Jane's Reviews > The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific

The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost

Nov 28, 2008

Recommended to Bailey Jane by: I bought it randomly!
Recommended for: travelers, adults, college, men, women
Read in November, 2008 , read count: 1

J. Maarten Troost has already turned into one of my favorite authors although this is the first I've read of his work. His writing is intelligently witty, dry, and sarcastic. Some chapters of this book are slower than others, but are necessary for the reader to fully understand why the I-Kiribati people behave in the ways they do or maintain their ways of life. I began reading this book around the same time I moved to St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands, and the hilarious pickles in which the author manages to tangle himself made my transition to island life seem like a breeze. I believe this book would be a perfect summer read, but only for those who enjoy a little more substance than really light summer reads about fashion or romance. I cannot wait to see how this novel ends or to read other books by this author.

I just finished this today (Nov. 28, 2008) and I totally recommend this to anyone, especially those who love to travel or have ever relocated to an island. It made my transition to the Virgin Islands seem far less problematic after reading his adventures in Kiribati. I hope everyone can get a chance to read this one. You won't be let down by his easy writing style, and intelligent and sometimes hilarious writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sex Lives of Cannibals.

11/24/2008 page 214
11/25/2008 page 231
84.93% 1 comment
11/26/2008 page 251
92.28% "This book is just great. His writing cracks me up."
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Please let me know what you think this when you are done.

Bailey Jane I just finished this today! I thought it was one of the funniest, most intelligent books I have had the pleasure of reading! It helped me feel a little less fed-up with some of the transitional issues I've had relocating to St. Thomas knowing that it could be a whole helluva lot worse trying to adjust in Kiribti!! The writer is AWESOME and he didn't bore me for a second. Totally read it.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Sounds great. I already have it from an independent study I taught (where we ended up not using this text). Thanks!

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica You said you read this before Marley and Me. That would make for a large shift in styles and depth. As you know, this is on my to-read list. So is Marley and Me...Which shall I read first? Thanks. Jess

Bailey Jane Definitely read Marley and Me first. Sex Lives will seem that much more adventurous and hilarious.

Jessica wrote: "You said you read this before Marley and Me. That would make for a large shift in styles and depth. As you know, this is on my to-read list. So is Marley and Me...Which shall I read first? Thanks. ..."

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Thanks, Bailey Jane. As always, you are a great Goodreads friend. Jess