Pamela's Reviews > The Ugly Duchess

The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James

F 50x66
Aug 13, 2012

Review courtesy of Romance Junkies:

Theodora "Daisy" Saxby never would have seen her best friend, James Ryburn, as husband material if it had not been for him cornering her at a ball and kissing her. Suddenly, she is seeing him in a whole new light, and when he asks for her hand in marriage, she willingly accepts. Everything goes off without a hitch and soon Daisy is the new Mrs. Ryburn, and not only that but she is to become a duchess. Unfortunately, the ton is not so kind and has taken to calling her "the ugly duchess."

With James at her side, Daisy can face anything or so she thinks until she learns a disturbing truth. When Daisy overhears James's conversation with his father, she is horrified and heartbroken. Surely James did not really marry her for her money alone. Daisy is so upset she confronts James and tells him to leave. He does so willingly, and soon Daisy finds herself becoming accustomed to a whole new life as Theo, a woman in control of her own destiny.

Years go by, and Theo is just about ready to move on. She is having James declared dead so that his title will pass on to his cousin, when to her horror a somewhat familiar stranger enters the room and puts a stop to the proceedings. He goes on to announce that he is Theo's husband, and he wants to reclaim all that is his, including his wife. She cannot deny the strong attraction between them, but this time she is going to be sure their relationship is built on something more substantial, love and honesty.

THE UGLY DUCHESS is entertaining and witty. It delivers an unforgettable cast of characters thrust into a regency era that is described with sharp attention to detail. It plays on all the emotions, I laughed, cried and got mad on more than one occasion. THE UGLY DUCHESS kept me turning pages until the midnight hour and I was sad to see it all come to an end. I have been a fan of Eloisa James for years, and it is novels like THE UGLY DUCHESS that keep me coming back for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ugly Duchess.