Bill's Reviews > Alive in Necropolis

Alive in Necropolis by Doug Dorst

1302060
Dec 22, 08

Read in December, 2008

A really engrossing story set in the actual "necropolis" of Colma, California, a city filled with cemeteries which provide the final resting places of quite a few notable people. The story revolves primarily around Mike Mercer, a Colma police officer who discovers the "secret" reports of his predecessor, which seem to indicate that Colma's dead citizens aren't all resting in peace as they should be. While we are watching his sanity spiral downward, we also follow parallel story lines involving his slightly older girlfriend, nurse Fiona Wells, and a young man named Jude DiMaio, who Mercer rescues early in the story from one of the cemeteries on his beat, where Jude was left following a dangerous prank by some punks who hang out with a girl Jude has a crush on. The plot lines all build to a climactic night when they all take unfortunate turns at the same time, leaving Mercer to choose which disaster he should try to prevent. It's a very well imagined and well written novel that kept me quite involved with the characters. It also features a nice cast of famous and eccentric residents of the Colma cemeteries who also help to move the plot along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alive in Necropolis.