S. J.'s Reviews > Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu Arakawa

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, graphic-novel, manga, sci-fi, shounen, urban-fantasy, historical-fiction
Recommended to S. by: Jeremy
Recommended for: Manga fans, urban fantasy fans
Read in January, 2007, read count: Once

*3.25 Stars*

*The Gush*
First let me say I was introduced to this from the anime, which I've heard is not that great. But after slogging through all those episodes just so a friend could watch the movie with someone, I'd had about all the Fullmetal Alchemist I could take. I also am a fan of too many looooong series without getting caught up in this series as well.

That said, I like this series. Edward and Al Elric are great characters that are sympathetic, sarcastic, and butt kicking all wrapped up in one. The mixture of historical connections, German setting, urban fantasy Alchemy, and the fighting are wonderfully balanced. The plot-as much as there is in an introductory volume-is intriguing enough to make you want to read further. The illustrations are very good; aiding the story rather than detracting or working against it.

*The Rant*
Mostly that this series just isn't for me. I like it, a lot, but there are just too many series that are more to my taste and I only have so much money. I would suggest looking at your local library - if it collects manga, it will probably have this one - and trying it to see if it fits for you.

*Conclusion*
While I can't personally recommend this series (I prefer to recommend Rurouni Kenshin and Inuyasha for manga similar to this), it is a good series and one to look into to see if it's to your taste.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1.