Kristen's Reviews > Horns

Aug 06, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-did-not-finish
Read in June, 2010

I didn't finish this book, didn't even come close to finishing it. Throughout the first six chapters, which is as far as I could force myself to go, there wasn't a character or a plot point or anything at all about this book that was interesting or engaging.

It seemed as though Hill was trying to make the reader as utterly disgusted with everyone in this book as he possibly could, and maybe that's exactly what he was doing. Certainly my reaction to every character and moment described in those first several chapters was distaste and offended disgust, because every one of them is portrayed as terrible, hateful individuals without a single redeeming quality.

Not sure exactly what Hill's intent was with opening the book the way he did, but there was nothing here to allow me to connect to story or characters, and when I realized that I really was disgusted by every aspect of what I was reading, I just gave up and stopped.

I'm disappointed, because I absolutely LOVED Hill's first book - Heart Shaped Box, which I highly recommend - and I was hoping I'd found a new favourite author, but this book just did not interest me on any level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horns.