Ann's Reviews > Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China

Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang

F 50x66
Jan 07, 09

Read in January, 2009

I was very disappointed in this book. It was very disorganized.
The way it jumped from one thing to another with no transition beyond some extra space on the page was quite disorienting. (E.g., one section ended with a statement about an old relative laying in bed waiting to die and the next paragraph started with a description of a table loaded with food.)

The descriptions and conclusions also seemed very superficial. I chose the book because I was very interested in learning about life in China today. I stayed with it to the very end hoping I'd learn more, but nothing more ever came. When I finally finished I felt I'd wasted my time and wished I quit sooner.

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Factory Girls.

message 1: by Gail (new)

Gail I didn't even finish the book. What really annoyed me about it was the massive use of metaphors, which were totally unneccessary. No wonder the book is so long.
Chang should just stick to being a correspondent, not an author.

message 2: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay I think you missed the point. A running theme in the book is how quickly life changes in china. How it can feel like people can pursue one's new goal or prerogative with a kind of amnesia about the past. In fact, you learned much more about china than you think. Chinese language is full of metaphors as well. If you study Chinese language, you would understand that.

message 3: by Asteroid (new) - added it

Asteroid Smashington Hi Gail, just wanted to point out that the use of metaphors is a huge part of the Chinese language, therefore when she writes a book of course she will tend to use more metaphors than a native English speaker/writer. It's not her being over-zealous, but rather a cultural norm to use lots of metaphors! :)