May's Reviews > The Eye of the World

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Nov 24, 08

Best Fantasy Series.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Brett I've had friends highly recommend this series to me. I used to be such a fantasy junky, but in the last few years I've read some pretty mediocre stuff. I've been trying to broaden my horizons, but I think I'm ready to take on another fantasy series. Especially one that earned your unreserved devotion.

On a side note, if The Eye of the World can even touch The Lord of the Rings, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks for helping me find another book to add to my "to reads" list.

message 3: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May Brett,
I do not want to upset you by my next comment, however, Lord of the Rings is not nearly as good as The Wheel of Time. Do not get me wrong, Lord of the Rings started it all and deserves our devotion. What Robert Jordan has done is take fantasy to the next level. I never read fantasy, and yet these are my favorite books of all time. I think that says something. Take care not to plan too much for the next little while, because once you pick up these books, you will not stop! I have read them atleast 6 times. The Author passed away last year, he was in the middle of writting the last book in the series (15+years in the making) however, he knew he had a terminal illness and made detailed notes. His wife and another author committed to writting as they know Robert Jordan has. It is really sort of sad. The books are, wow I am trying to explain in words and I am having a hard time. Just know that they are amazing, you will be completely drawn in and astounded at the genious of the author. There are so many twists and turns it will take mulitple readings to catch them all. I know I am still finding things! I plan to re-read them sometime next year. The final book is set to come out end of 2009. There is also a prequel called New Spring. I would start reading Eye of the World and the series first though. That is how the author wrote them. Take care, May

Brett I hope that we can agree to disagree on which fantasy book series is best. I loved both, but I have to go with The Lord of the Rings. I've been through it 11 times, and I might be almost as obsessed with it as you are with the Wheel of TIme series. No offense, I still really loved the Eye of the World. I look forward to reading the rest of the series, too. I guess I'll have to make a final judgement call when I finish it.

message 1: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May We can totally agree to disagree. Perhaps the point here is that you started Fantasy with The Lord of the Rings, and I did with the Wheel of Time. They are our first loves and therefore will probably remain our favorites overall. I really enjoyed The Lord of the Rings as well, do not get me wrong they are amazing books and worth all the acclaim. I think it would be safe to say that in both series the books get better as you go along. You get caught up in the characters lives and really want to see them fulfill their ultimate potential. A couple people who have read The Wheel of Time at my recommendation did not love book 2. I never had a problem with it, but please push on if you do. They really only get better. And you will be amazed at how he ties in the lives of the characters over the 20 year span of writting. Pure genious.