Les's Reviews > Love Anthony

Love Anthony by Lisa Genova

Sep 18, 2012

bookshelves: top-ten
Read from August 06 to 12, 2012

It is always with great trepidation that I begin a new novel by a beloved author. On one hand, I am excited to return to a favorite author’s style and prose, knowing her previous works have been among some of the best books I’ve ever read. On the other hand, I’m nervous and a tiny bit concerned that the new book won’t live up to its predecessors and I’ll be forced to write a less-than-glowing review. Unlike recent disappointments by a couple of my favorite authors, I can assure you that this is not the case for Lisa Genova’s new novel, Love Anthony. Once again, Genova, a neuroscientist (with a doctorate from Harvard), educates her readers about another brain condition, much as she did with Still Alice (Alzheimer’s) and Left Neglected (Hemispatial neglect, aka “left neglect” syndrome). Other than what I’ve seen in the news or a reference here or there in article I might have read, I basically know nothing specific about autism. Nobody in my family is autistic and none of my friends have an autistic child, so it was enlightening to read Genova’s story, knowing that the descriptions and details of Anthony’s condition would be based on her professional knowledge in the study of the brain

Not since Emma Donoghue’s “Jack” (Room) have I encountered a child’s voice so utterly genuine and heartbreakingly tender. Not only does the author put a face on autism, she shows her readers how “normal” an autistic child feels, in spite of his limitations.

Final Thoughts: Genova has written another winner! I loved her compassion for both women, but mostly I loved Anthony. While some readers may have trouble with the (perhaps literally) incredible coincidences that occur in this novel, I was willing and able to suspend my disbelief, not only appreciating Genova’s intelligent depiction of a child with autism, but also the love between family and friends. And now, once again, I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next time around! Kudos, Lisa! I loved it.

Wonderful novel. Genova is one of my favorite authors! Go here to read my full review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Anthony.

message 1: by Marcia (new) - added it

Marcia Counting down the days to September 25!

message 2: by Les (new) - rated it 5 stars

Les I was thrilled to receive an ARC of this book. It was fantastic!

Maggie Sievers I liked Love Anthony too, especially after hearing her speak at the Tucson Festival of Books. I wouldn't give it a 5 star rating because I found the connection between Beth and Olivia contrived. I would agree with Les that the voice of Anthony was reminiscent of Jack in Room. Lisa Genova writes very well, perhaps because she knows brain science and is persoanlly acquainted with a grandmother with Alzeimers and her nephew who is autistic. DEfinetly worth the read.