Crystal 's Reviews > Lies Beneath

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Jan 11, 13

Read on August 06, 2012

First Thoughts
First the only reason I wanted to read this book was because it was on everyone’s blog and it was mermaids, which I love! I wasn’t so captivated with the blurb. I always liked the sweet innocent way mermaids are portrayed so murderous, revengeful, mermaids were not what I wanted to read about, but the popularity of the book pushed me towards it.

My Thoughts
Lies Beneath was a great read. Took me about four hours with only a stop to eat dinner and to watch Misty May and Kerri Walsh win their match to advance to the semi-finals! This story is about Calder White and his three sisters. They’re all mermaids. They kill humans to absorb their positive energy. But this time the kill is different, they are out for revenge and the only way to get that revenge is to go after Jason Hancock. He owns a dept to their family, and they are going to collect.

What I liked about this story was that it was original. We have all seen fantasy books about mermaids, but the way lies beneath were written was completely innovative. The plot was unique, the history on the mermaids original, the writing both fresh and imaginative!

Along with the great plot, came great characters. I loved Lily, I really did. She had to move to a new town, she had a mother with a serious illness and yet I feel she took it all in stride. And all though I knew Calder was a murderous merman, and was out for revenge, I liked him anyway LOL. He was dealing with so much pressure from his sister to avenge their family yet he was fighting feelings of love and regret for what he would have to do. I think the reason I got over the murderous thing was because I didn't see him kill anyone.
Now those sisters of his were CRAZY. Sometimes I wanted to like them because of their interactions between each other(the sibling interactions), but then they would do something crazy and I would remember that they were not good people. THEY WERE COLD BLOODED KILLERS!!!

Although I ended up liking this book that was not the case in the beginning. It was sooo slow for me. I wanted the action to pick up or I wanted more too happen and at times it fell flat. But in the end it did pick up and the middle and end was phenomenal! I did not see that coming at all.it was crazy! I felt were the beginning let me down, the end more than made up for it. This book started off slow but I aspect the second one to start and finish strong. This is shaping up to being a promising series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies Beneath.