Nicholas's Reviews > Cycle of the Werewolf

Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: the-king
Read on August 06, 2012

Not a bad short story. I was thinking about halfway through that it would be a great thing to read to your kids as the Halloween season approaches, but there are some dicey moments and the ever present language issues one inevitably finds in King works. It's easy to see why this one is out of print. It's not stellar and very traditional. As far as werewolf stories go, it fades into the general cultural milieu of tall tales that have a million and one incarnations from generation to generation. That's not to say it's not at all exciting. The month-to-month format of the book is a solid one as the town of Tarker's Mills deals with a cycle of murders. Tension within the town escalates as the year wanes and the mystery of who the perpetrator is deepens. Not for very long, of course. Honestly, you don't know many of the residents well enough to make guesses or be surprised by who the culprit is, but, again, this is a different type of book for King. Usually relying on character-driven stories, he takes a creative leap with this and allows the seasons and plot to drive instead.

Like most classic horror stories, this one just has a wonderful Fall feel to it. Perhaps with some gray skies and leaves on the ground the stories atmosphere would resonate better. Read it to your kids with some judicious editing! It's not often you can say that you can do that with something by King.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cycle of the Werewolf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is not out of print, in fact it is in its 20th printing. It is like a short fairy tale. King made a clever and creepy tale that uses an old school werewolf and not one of the bare chested youths you see lately. Several sections are almost poetic in the storytelling setting the scene of unease with beautiful lines is a brilliant and deceptive way to tell this tale.

Nicholas My mistake! The only version I could find looked like it was from 1983 and I haven't seen a newer looking one. It's a fun story, but not very complicated as far as King stuff goes. I really enjoy King's characters, but this one had mostly forgettable ones. Not that that's what he was trying for. I think this was one of those experimental, try-something-new, formats for King, and it was about as enjoyable as his others for me.