Bob's Reviews > Are Men Necessary?: When Sexes Collide

Are Men Necessary? by Maureen Dowd

Nov 24, 08

Putlitzer Prize winner Maureen Dowd's New York Times column falls somewhere between journalism and satire. I am addicted to her columns as I am to sour lemon balls. In this book, the 56-year-old, never married Dowd distills the decades of experience she and her friends have racked up in the trenches of the battle of the sexes.

In the introduction, Dowd writes "I don't understand men. . . This book is not . . . a handy little volume of sterling solutions to the American woman's problem. . . I'm as baffled as the next woman."

Dowd draws from experience, academic studies, and even the opinions of some of her men friends. She even reviews the famous Newsweek pronouncement that the chances of a woman over 40 getting married are less that her chances of being killed in a terrorist attack. As promised, she offers no solutions, but her acerbic observations are humorous and interesting. It is an amusing way to waste a weekend, even for a guy. We guys are not used to being thought of as mysterious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are Men Necessary?.