Kristen's Reviews > Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Lamb by Christopher Moore

Aug 06, 2012

bookshelves: weird-but-good, favorites
Read in August, 2010

I love Christopher Moore. I think he's brilliant and irreverent and ironic and hilarious and he's a wonderful author with a completely unique perspective.

This book is just as funny as all his other books. The title gives you a pretty good idea what you'll get from this book. It's not exactly the version of the story about Jesus you may be familiar with, because Biff isn't like the other disciples. He's rude, crude and completely self-absorbed. He takes full advantage of being the best friend of the saviour to get everything he possibly can.

We go along with Jesus [known in this story as Joshua] and Levi [known as Biff] through the early years none of the gospels currently available detail.

Jesus is mostly the Jesus we know, although he has his "dumb young boy" moments. But the star of this story is really Biff. Biff, who speads weeks having sex with prostitutes while Josh listens from the next room so he can learn "what sin feels like" without partaking himself, having been forbidden to do so by an angel from the Lord.

Biff, who cons, scams and bamboozles whatever he feels Joshua needs to have to fulfill his destiny. Biff, who's smart mouth and disrespect for everyone but Joshua frequently gets him into trouble. Biff, who loves Joshua and believes in his mission completely and without question. Biff is a character with many facets, but it's hard not to like him overall.

The story is irreverent and sarcastic, but, as is always the case with Moore, there is an underlying wisdom, thoughtfulness and truth to what happens, what's said and done, and what ultimately happens at the end. The humour of the story - another Moore trademark is constant, clever, witty and delightful. I laughed out loud all the way through and highly recommend this as a great read - UNLESS you are easily offended. In that case, stay away from all Christopher Moore books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lamb.

message 1: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Sparks I was going to recommend this to you! Has the same irreverance as Good Omens.