Jen at Reading Lark's Reviews > The Lost Prince

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Aug 06, 12

Read on December 17, 2012

Julie Kagawa never disappoints me. I always know that when I pick up a book of hers, I will be glued to my seat, flipping over the pages until it's all over, when I will then regret reading it so fast! The Lost Prince was no exception to that rule.

I will admit that I was a little wary that I might find it weird reading about Ethan, the little boy from The Iron Fey series, especially as Julie writes her heroes as so darn heroic... well, Ethan grew up into a surly, capable, and heartfelt hero, and I didn't stand a chance. I loved him from the get go. His ability to see the Fae has hounded him from school to school, as they manage to ruin his life with each successive fresh start, and he developed a tough shell to protect himself. He's also trained in Kali, a martial art where sticks and knives are used in self-defense; this was ridiculously cool!! Ethan is abrasive and rude to everyone because he just wants to be left alone (thus protecting others from the havoc in his life), and it isn't until he meets Kenzie that anyone has taken the trouble to try and see past that exterior. Ethan also spends a fair amount of time being angry at Meghan for leaving, and worrying about his mother. This all adds up to make him a really GREAT guy to get behind and root for!

I LOVED Kenzie. She is a fantastic character; adventurous, logic driven and extremely determined. She gets accidentally sucked into Ethan's world, and copes really well. She is always on the offensive, questioning Ethan and chipping away at his shell, and she wheedles her way into his heart in the most endearing way. I wasn't surprised, but I was SO pleased with the way this romance developed - this is a fresh feeling couple in the Kagawaverse, who were just too good together. Kenzie isn't 100% straightforward though, and I really enjoyed reading her character arc. She is a LOT more kick-butt than Meghan Chase of the Iron Fey, and I loved how Kenzie calls Ethan "tough guy" to gently mock him. It's touches like that which take the dialogue from great to awesome, and make me fall for characters hard.

The story in The Lost Prince deals with the emergence of a new threat to the Nevernever, and I thought it was REALLY well developed from the Iron Fey series. The progression was logical, and I liked how some elements were allowed to roll into this new series. *HUGE CHEER FOR GRIMALKIN!!* I do love that cat. I think he may be the best written cat in any fiction anywhere. Other familiar characters popped up which drew many a smile from me as I read on, and I was really satisfied with the journey traveled in this book.

I won't say more about the plot, simply that as usual there was food for thought at the end of the book and I am left desperately wanting more... again. Well done Julie, another BRILLIANT book!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Prince.

08/06/2012
30.0% "This one isn't going to last long! I am LOVING Ethan!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Great review Jen! I just finished mine and I'm still awestruck!! If I didn't have such a huge tbr pile...I'd reread it and all the Iron Fey books too!!!