Suzanne's Reviews > Lucretia and the Kroons

3199097
Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: net-galley
Read from August 06 to 08, 2012

I was fortunate enough to receive this book through Net Galley. As always, I am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to read and review this book, and I never allow receiving a book for free to alter my opinion.

I instantly connected with Lucretia. I am not sure if it was because her Flushing apartment was described so vividly, and I grew up in Queens/NYC (my grandparents still live in a Flushing apartment); or if it was due to the way she stood up so vehemently for herself against her so called friends. Either way, I liked her and the story was off to a promising start.

I must say, the adventure in 6B was wildly, and artfully imagined. The author definitely repainted scenery I thought I knew. There were times that were truly scary, and times that were sad. Watching Lucretia accept the unacceptable portrayed more emotion than I thought most short stories were capable of.

Why only three stars then? Well, cigarettes, specifically smoking a cigarette, played a huge part in this story, and I was let down. After how imaginative the world was painted, I wanted a more creative way for the story to conclude than for a cigarette to save the day. It felt like a cop out to bring the story to a swift conclusion. All things considered though, I enjoyed this short story enough that the subsequent novel will be earning a spot on my "To Read" shelf. I recommend this book if you like horror stories, short stories, or well written Flushing Apartments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucretia and the Kroons.

08/07/2012 page 48