Jennifer Bookworm Coalition's Reviews > Shattered Magic

Shattered Magic by Rebecca York

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: eh, arc
Read in August, 2012

I found this book to be predictable but I didn't immediately dislike it because I enjoyed what little of the world I glimpsed. I feel like I've read this story over and over again and to some degree I have. Romance novels all seem the same lately.

Man and Woman run away from respective homes to avoid responsibility and other things. Man saves Woman. Man takes Woman's virginity. Woman turns out to be something that Man is afraid of. Man gets mad and hateful, then realizes he's being a jack-ass. Man and Woman admit they love each other and live happily ever after.

Spoilers Ahead, Proceed With Caution and Don't Say I Didn't Warn You

Rowan (Woman) is from a small, secluded and magically protected village called Valleyhold. She runs away to escape the affections and possible arranged marriage to a madman by the name of Telman.

Grant/Grandland is the crown prince of Arandal. He has run away from his Father's rule and his responsibilities.

While running from home Rowan is attacked by a dragon but Grant saves her life. They become trapped in a cave together. Rowan decides the only way to get away from Telman is to seduce Grant and have sex with him because Telman wants a virgin. Eventually she succeeds in getting her wish. But they've both been keeping secrets from each other.

In the past, Rowan's people were killed and chased out of Arandal for being "witches". Rowan has the power to move things with her mind. Grantland is the crown prince of Arandal and is prejudice towards "witches". It made for some interesting pages in the book.

I almost wish that this book were longer. It is extremely unbelievable for people to fall in love within two days. It's actually quite eye-roll worthy. If only there were 200 more pages, imagine the expansion of the world created and the story line.

Another problem I have is that everyone nowadays is a virgin. And said virgin has the most explosive orgasm in the history of ever. Oh, and the men sleep with everyone that will lay down, but heaven forbid that woman is a virgin... Then they pretend they have honor and must keep said woman intact because she is a virgin and knows not what she's doing.

Overall, I give it 3 out of 5 stars. It was Meh. Like I said the story was predictable and had been told too many times, but I loved the world that was painted even if it wasn't mentioned much. I would of loved more of a description of Arandal and Valleyhold.

This ARC was provided by Carina Press via Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Magic.