Jaylia3's Reviews > Waking Storms

Waking Storms by Sarah  Porter

Aug 06, 12

As the adventure continues in this second book of the Lost Voices trilogy the story becomes bigger and is more and more interesting. Luce transformed from a human girl into a mermaid after suffering terrible abuse at the hands of her uncle in the last book, and for the first time in her life she found herself part of a close-knit group when she became a member of a mermaid tribe. By the beginning of Waking Storms, however, she is on her own. Her former tribe is divided and increasingly violent, and Dorian, the boy Luce broke mermaid law to save, is angry about the deaths of his family and threatening to expose Luce and endanger mermaids worldwide by revealing their existence.

Everything changes though after Dorian and Luce meet and they are attracted to each other in spite of having every reason to be enemies. Conflicting emotions and loyalties augment the tension and enhance the complexity of the plot. Should Luce pursue her forbidden love of a human, or accept the responsibility of being a mermaid queen? Can there be peace, or will there be war?

Waking Storms is beautifully written, especially its descriptions of Luce’s life in the Bering Sea off the coast of Alaska. It has more information about mermaid origins and history, and a wonderful new character Nausicaa, a mermaid who has been around for thousands of years. When I received this book for review I decided to read its predecessor first and I’m glad I did. Waking Storms could be read as a stand-alone, but I think the power of the story will be greater if Lost Voices is read first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking Storms.