Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > Absolution

Absolution by Diane Alberts

Aug 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: erotic, contemporary, action-adventure, m-f, suspense-mystery
Read in August, 2012

Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

Eva Gonzales' life is in danger, and the only one capable of protecting her is her recent ex-boyfriend Joseph. Absolution sets up a wonderful love/hate relationship and the sparks really fly!

Joseph (whose last name we never learn) is a likable, honorable man. He obviously loves Eva and wants desperately to explain his actions and win back her heart, but he's deflected at every turn. While his primary goal is to keep her alive, he is also determined to explain what he knows is a terrible misunderstanding.

Eva is a very strong, stubborn, and prideful woman. She's also heartbroken. After finding a naked Joseph in bed with a stripper, she vows she's seen the last of him. I wanted to like Eva, and could understand the devastation she felt when she felt she'd been betrayed. But even after it was clear Joseph's compromising position may not have been what it seemed, she continues to resist. He continued to fight to win her heart, and she not only accepted his physical advances, she allowed him to make love to her, only to say goodbye once it was over. I felt his pain the moment he thought he'd gotten through to her, only to be turned away. The mixed signals didn't seem fair to Joseph.

Even towards the end of the story, Eva's inner thoughts were always the worst of Joseph, and I began to feel he deserved better. I can certainly understand doubt, but when it's proven, more than once, that he was not guilty of what she believed, I would have hoped her faith would have returned 100%. Unfortunately, it didn't, and I actually felt myself wondering if he was better off without her.

As for Ms. Albert's writing style, it was very good. She is very easy to read and as the action unfolds, it's easy to follow and picture what is happening. I did cheer as Joseph fought the bad guys to defend his woman. Despite my frustration with the heroine, the story was an hot, interesting read and I would certainly consider reading another title of Ms. Albert. For a quick, exciting, action story, Absolution may be a good book to look into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absolution.