Annie's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Aug 08, 12

I heard a lot of hype about this book before I read it, which upped my expectations.

John Green is clever, and I liked the energy in his narration, but I just didn't understand why (beside the friendship angle) Augustus meant so much to Hazel - and romance was the hook for me. I mean it's a book about cancer patients and their families (no one voluntarily reads this stuff without an engaging, positive emotional hook...).

Maybe if I hadn't read other books which dealt with life and death I might have appreciated this aspect of the book more (and so the book itself), but I had, so I didn't find many of Hazel's musings revelatory. Perhaps I was too old for this one?

So yeah, nice effort, but I sort of wished I'd read chic lit or a humorous book instead. I know, sucky review (as in this review is not well written or thought out) but life's too short for perfection. Sorry. :)

Quotes Annie Liked

John Green
“I missed the future. Obviously I knew even before his recurrence that I'd never grow old with Augustus Waters. But thinking about Lidewij and her boyfriend, I felt robbed. I would probably never again see the ocean from thirty thousand feet above, so far up that you can't make out the waves or any boats, so that the ocean is a great and endless monolith. I could imagine it. I could remember it. But I couldn't see it again, and it occurred to me that the voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because there is always the thought that everything might be done better and again.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars