Rachel's Reviews > Silver

Silver by Talia Vance

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: arc, net-galley
Read from August 06 to 07, 2012, read count: 1

Brianna Paxton was invisible. No matter what she did, she always remained in the shadow of her best friend Haley. Not that she minded most of the time. Because there was something from her past that she didn’t want anyone to know. Something she’d done. Something so bad even her mother seemed afraid of her.

But when it came to Blake Williams she wished he could see her. She kept count of the times that she saw him and that he acted as if she wasn’t even there. She wished that he would flirt with her like he did with Haley. She hoped he would notice her. Even if it was just once.

Then one night her wish came true. He did see her. For the very first time he saw her clearly. And in that moment everything changed.

Because he knew her. He knew things about her that she didn’t know. Things she didn’t want to believe were true. Dark things. Dangerous things. Things that if they were true meant that her life would never be the same again. That she would never be safe again. Not even from him.

And he wasn’t the only one who could see her now.

***

Utterly captivating, deliciously dark and sexy, exciting and original, Talia Vance’s Silver is a fast-paced and immensely entertaining read that will keep those pages turning.

From a plot that is full of secrets, betrayal, danger, mystery, suspense, heartbreak and chemistry that scorches to characters that readers will love to love and love to hate, this first book in the Bandia series is the perfect escape into a world that brings Celtic myth into a modern day setting.

The writing flows beautifully and transports readers into this story of ancient powers and beliefs, age-old rivalries and long-standing enemies. A story with a likable and relatable heroine who has been kept in the dark about who she is, what she’s capable of and the dangers that await her. And a story that pits loyalty and responsibility against love and trust.

Author Talia Vance grabs readers’ attention with the intensity of the connection between Brianna and Blake. She keeps them on edge by revealing fragments of the mythology only as her main character learns about it. And she keeps them riveted by the constant threat of danger, the fear of not knowing what will happen next, the two boys that capture her heroine’s interest, and the enemies that seek to destroy her.

With a market saturated with paranormal stories for young adults, Silver explores a mythology that is different and incredibly intriguing. The author’s ability to enchant, tease and torment with her words, to tie readers in knots and to create not only interesting but very memorable characters, makes Silver an absolute must read first book in this new series.

On a personal note:

From the moment I started reading Silver I fell in love. Yes, it was total insta-love. There was just something about the writing that I connected with immediately. Just a few sentences in and I knew that it would be a “me” book. And I was not wrong.

It was totally a “me” book. From the writing, to the characters, to the story, to the mythology, to the darkness, to the heartbreak, to the nail-biting suspense, to the chemistry.

Ahhh the chemistry. There was plenty of that. It was intense. It was electric. It held an element of danger. It sparked. It sizzled. It blazed.

But what I loved most was the writing. It was gorgeous. It gave me that twisty-turny feeling inside that I absolutely love. It kept me riveted to the story. It broke my heart. It made me nervous. It took me on a ride that I never wanted to get off of.

And then there was the mythology. I was fascinated. I wanted to know more. I still want to know more. I loved how the mythology was revealed teasingly, piece by piece. I loved how different it was. And I love that I don’t know the whole of it just yet.

This story utterly bewitched me. I had not anticipated being so enamored with it when I picked it up. But within moments I just knew it would tear me apart. And it did.

I loved getting to know Brianna. I loved trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I loved every single moment that involved Blake Williams. And I loved trying to figure out Austin Montgomery.

The story was just so easy to read, so easy to get lost in. I don’t think I’ve devoured a story as quickly as I had this book in quite awhile. But I couldn’t slow down my pace because I wanted answers. I wanted to get to that next scene with Brianna and Blake. I wanted to learn more about the characters’ history. And I wanted to find out just how things would end.

Though when I reached the end I was devastated that I had finished. That there was no more story left to read. That I'd have to say goodbye to the characters. Especially since I wasn't sure if there would be another book, as Silver did not end in a cliffhanger. But there was this one moment that would have been the perfect cliffhanger...a perfectly cruel cliffhanger.

Instead, the book tied up many loose ends and so I was terrified there was no more story for the characters and that this was a standalone and not a series. But thankfully there is more story and there is a sequel. Now I just have to suffer the wait.

Because not every question was answered. Not every thread tied up neatly. Not every threat removed. And not every aspect of the mythology revealed.

I love being surprised by a book. I love unexpectedly falling in love with a story. And I love finding new characters that I can so easily connect with.

Silver made all that happen. Now I just can’t wait for Gold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver.

08/06/2012
2.0% "Oh just started this, love the author's style of writing and love love love how chapter one ends!"
08/06/2012
18.0% "Love this book. Can't wait to find out what is happening. Will not be able to put it down."
08/07/2012
100.0% "This book was so awesome. Dying for the sequel!"