Kedar's Reviews > The Sense of an Ending

bookshelves: books-i-own, favourite-books, read-in-2012, to-reread
Read from August 07 to 17, 2012

Losing all hope was freedom. - Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
...

Normally, I tend to form the review of a book halfway through the book and then it gets a finer shape as I complete the book. Sometimes the review that I have in mind suddenly metamorphoses into a completely different set of words. But with this book, I just am not able to collect my thoughts to pen them down.

I really liked the book. After completing it I decided that someday, when I grow older than what I am right now, I will read this book again. I will look back at how I felt while reading the book for the first time. I will see if I have aged with time or I have just amassed some more memories and modified some other.

But for now, I am at a loss for the right words. The book is unlike any other book I have read so far. In a slim package of 150 pages, Julian Barnes presents an intense, thought provoking book. It makes you think and recollect the fond memories that you had. It prods you further in the direction of the scenarios that worked in your favour and others, probably the ones you desired more, that didn't work out in your favour. It gives you some time and teaches you tricks to play around with the what-ifs and whether-thats... and suddenly takes you tumbling down the rabbit hole along with Tony Webster.

Maybe I shouldn't be drawing parallels just because I read these novels in succession, but I felt that there was a characterial overlap between Gatsby's Nick Carraway and Sense of an Ending's Tony Webster. Both of them are observers. Both of them are the metaphorical hubs of the story's wheel. Whereas in Nick's case external forces turn the wheel, Tony makes the wheel move by himself and yet feels that there are external forces acting on him. In Veronica's well-iterated words, Tony just doesn't get it! Nevertheless, Tony does get it, eventually...

Ok, back to the book... Sense of an Ending speaks in terms of logic as applied to human behaviour, common sense as humans try to apply to their behaviour, abstract behavioral mathematics, and ever questioned rationality, but the book leaves you with a feeling that is nowhere as straightforward. It's as misty as a mountain top during monsoon and leaves you in an intoxicated state to find your way through all that haze.

Relationships. Complexities. Reactions. Consequences.

We keep moving back and forth through past and present (metaphorically), try to perceive time and memories linked to a time, understand the dynamics of our behaviour as opposed to what might have happened and just play along. Tony Webster does the same. He looks back at himself, he reminisces, he wonders; he tries to change the mistakes of the past and realizes that the seeds of his previous actions have grown into fierce, road-blocking trees, unknowingly shadowing his motives and hopes. He tries to understand the consequences of his actions. He tries in vain to rekindle the fire. He tries to split remorse in chunks of guilt to tackle them individually, while searching for a stamp of forgiveness. He senses the end and begins the search for corroboration that affirms his memories, life, and the way everything happened. Eventually, Tony gives up his quest.

Adrian's Diary was just a time machine that forced Tony to look back. Veronica was just a force that kept Tony thinking and making modifications to his actions. Veronica's Mom represented the very human nature of unpredictableness. Margaret was the laugh that we need, the smiles that carry us through. Adrian, a mathematical anomaly. Tony, all the while, a hub in the wheel of something called as life. Life, as it happens to some, and as some make it happen.

I loved the book for what it was. The lovely poetic, poignant lines, the melancholy trip through memories, and the wry humour that brought a smile or two at the needed times. I will definitely read this book again and will recommend it to anyone who has thought about the past, not just to change it, but to really think if that change would have been worthwhile as compared to the present. Because who can really predict happenings?

---

It is the same!--For, be it joy or sorrow,
The path of its departure still is free:
Man's yesterday may ne'er be like his morrow;
Nought may endure but Mutability.

- P.B. Shelley, Mutability
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense of an Ending.

08/07/2012 page 12
show 2 hidden updates…

Arun Divakar Enigmatic review but then you really cannot reveal a lot about a 150 page book without spoiling its freshness for those yet to read the book ? It's on my to-read list. Some day soon !

Kedar Arun, I apologize if I have taken some freshness out of the book (I tried not to!). But trust me, the little walk through would be a much more personal experience once you start reading it.

Arun Divakar Kedar wrote: "Arun, I apologize if I have taken some freshness out of the book (I tried not to!). But trust me, the little walk through would be a much more personal experience once you start reading it."

Kedar, you have not given out here more than what I have read in most reviews ! Need to read this.

Rakhi Dalal Nice review Kedar! This book is one of my favorites too! And I liked the idea of reading it again after getting older:)

Kedar Thanks, Rakhi. :)

Kedar Arun wrote: "Kedar wrote: "Arun, I apologize if I have taken some freshness out of the book (I tried not to!). But trust me, the little walk through would be a much more personal experience once you start readi..."

Do read it. Will be looking forward for your review. :)

Srinivas the review like the book is wonderful.

i read this book when my life was taking actions without my approval.

This book gave me an outlook that still present in me and i see through it sometimes.

Cecily Kedar wrote: "Arun, I apologize if I have taken some freshness out of the book (I tried not to!)."

I don't think you have: you've captured the taste of the book very well, without giving anything important away.

Kedar Cecily wrote: "Kedar wrote: "Arun, I apologize if I have taken some freshness out of the book (I tried not to!)."

Coincidentally, it's been almost two years since I read this book and the feeling still lingers a bit. The melancholy I felt while reading the book.

Cecily The best books bubble under the surface of one's memory in that way.