Jack Kirby and the X-man's Reviews > Blinky Bill

Blinky Bill by Dorothy Wall

U 50x66
Jan 28, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, author-australia, childrens, library_book, setting-australia, 2009, 1930s
Read in January, 2009

This is an omnibus containing Blinky Bill: The Quaint Little Australian (1933), Blinky Bill Grows Up (1934) and Blinky Bill and Nutsy (1937).

I fondly recall the Blinky Bill character from my childhood – but never remember reading the original stories. Having now read the originals I suspect that my fond memories come from the various adaptions that have been made over the years.

I must say I was shocked by the mature themes contained in the first couple of chapters in Blinky Bill. First he is born – a joyous occasion. Then his father is shot and killed by humans, forcing the family to move. The new tree contains Mrs Grunty who’s history included having her whole family shot by humans, then herself being kidnapped and transported a long distance to become someone’s pet. These seem like pretty adult themes for a kids book, particularly when compared with the relatively tame TV series.

I gave this book 3 stars primarily because of the environment the books create – the idea of anthropogenic Australian bush animals and the character of Blinky a young adventurous (and naughty) koala. I didn’t find the stories themselves to be page-turners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blinky Bill.