Duy Nguyen's Reviews > 4th of July

4th of July by James Patterson

U 50x66
Nov 29, 2008

Read in November, 2008

I got this book from used store near UTA because I was noticed by the front cover the author name, James Peterson. I had read Maximum Ride and really liked the way of his wording. That unintended choice brought me a new exciting of reading English books. I have gone through more than 150 pages of this book in just only one night with a lot of interesting.

This book was about a female detective Lindsay Boxer who shot 2 kids after a long way of chasing in self-defense. However, accidental events had happened to her and she faced with disgraced concerns about what she had done.

I gained insight into what people have done on court. It made me more exciting when I carefully read about the investigating of lawyers in the competition of protecting their clients. Lawyers took turn to question witnesses and try to lead the judgment followed the way which was beneficial for the clients. Peterson must undergo the situation very much in order to have wonderful description which let me think I was in that room.

I'm in the chapter that Lindsay Boxer is waiting for the next day of judgment. I'm thinking that how terrify she is despite of she have done a good thing.

I'm looking for the next chapter of this book...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 4th of July.

11/24/2008 page 100
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Duy (new) - added it

Duy Nguyen The attractiveness of the end of the book made me reaching to the last page. I happily to made a comment about it right now.

The story continued with the scene in the courthouse and Lindsay Boxer - a great woman lieutenant- had been struggling with Mason Broyles who act as a lawyer of Cabot's family. Lindsay Boxer had shot thier naughty children in self-denfensed. One had died and one had remained his life in wheelchair. While read throughtly from the very beginning of the book, Linsay had done a right thing and she had even been kind to help those children getting out of the car after accident. But because of Lindsay had drunk a couple of lite wine, Broyles sticked on that and convinced the jury to charge on Lindsay. In the end of court scene, Lindsay was indicated to be innocent.

I loved reading these chapters very much because they showed me the laborious competition of lawyers when they try to protect their clients. They even explained me more how much powerful that lawyers could have in manipulating the truth. James Peterson, the author, was very talent in this scene as if he was in that circumstance. He built the situation with all logical events and also "holes" which he could bring the readers from one peek to another peek.

The last scene was very bloody when Lindsay was restored her duty and exposed 3 murderers. They are one woman and 2 men who killed 9 people. Their excuse was that all the victims had abused innocent children and it was true. They acted alone because the resposible people had ignored their report. However, the fact that they took out 9 people was against the law. I sympathy with them but I could say that was kind of brutal action.

This is the best story I have ever read. I'm also exciting because I have discovered the most interesting kind of story I could read in English is not Sci-Fi but that is about crime and court. I will look for another book in the same category of James Peterson for my Extensive Reading.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hi Duy,

I'm so pleased that you have begun another novel by James Patterson. This is just what a teacher wants to happen for her students!

You've done an excellent job with ER this semester and with your ER book reviews.

check-plus